Monday, January 09, 2006

thoughts on worship: part two

(read part one here)
Undignified Worship...

David worshiped like this... We find in 2 Samuel that he was so excited about the Ark of the Lord coming back to Jeruselem that he danced like a madman. Even when people despised him for this he said: "I will celebrate before the Lord, I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes" (Ch. 6, v. 21, 22). The craziest part about this to me is that he was the King, people looked up to him and saw what he was doing and scoffed... He didn't care. Nothing was going to stop him from his display.

True worship forgets itself. True worship recognizes intimacy between one man and God, tuning out everything else. True worship is an undignified response to our God who loves us more than we will ever know or comprehend. It's not a show. It's not a performance, but an outpouring of our love for God with no hesitations or restrictions.

I think king David had it right.

No comments: