Thursday, March 09, 2006

thank you God, for a moment...

Last night I was doing my nightly ritual of logging my expenses for the day and filing my receipts... it was about 10:45pm and the entire town seemed to be sleeping except for me... suddenly all of my lights went out... my first thought was 'the breaker switch probably fell again' (which happens about once a week), but about as quickly as I had that thought I looked out my windows and noticed the entire neighborhood was pitch black... I walked out on my patio and realized the power was out as far as I could look in every direction... except up... the night glowed with an amazing display of starry fireworks without the pullution of the bright city lights that are normally there... as quickly as I could, I pulled out two of my round, comfy chairs out onto the deck, grabbed a bed sheet and a pillow and curled up underneath the glowing stars amidst the black night... the only sound was the ocean waves crashing against the rocks and the shore about 200 yards in front of me... I couldn't see it, but I knew it was there... not only could I hear the mighty power of the ocean, but I could feel it... the waves are constantly pounding the shoreline, but the timing is usually off... a wave on the near shore will crash, then a wave further north will crash, which creates this swirling, echoing sound all around you... but then, all at once the waves will crash in unison, like a symphony that builds to it's crescendo... and it was then that I could feel the earth tremble... my deck would shake ever so slightly... it was so majestic... I thought to myself 'it would be nice to have someone here to share this with', but I realized that this was a gift given by God especially for me... I fell asleep like a little baby dozing off to his mother's sweet lullaby... like my childhood bed times I will never get these moments back, but it's cool to think that was just a small piece of the amazing, beautiful masterpiece God has given us to drink in... I like it when God shows Himself in these ways... If you look for Him, you will surely find Him... especially in moments like these...

3 comments:

Q said...

Eric! We can try to get childhood bedtimes back, really we can!! All we need is you..and me...and BENJI!! I'll sing the lullaby. (if he will let me) He's waiting for you..i know you miss him...wight?? Fine...fine..just fine... :)
I KNOW I MISS YOU!! beautiful words..beautiful thoughts..sweet son of mine. I love you

Shannon said...

Eric, you're making me so jealous! It's so great to see what your life is like! Take in every moment!

Nic[H]ole said...

Gosh, that is so cool Eric. God is really amazing and I'm so thankful that he's showing himself to you.
Soak it up.