Tuesday, October 11, 2005

true


It's funny how when I was in college, I dreaded reading... probably because I had to do it. But now, 3-plus years removed from the university life, I am finally starting to enjoy it. I have read through 4 books in the last 3 months and I'm currently in the middle of 2 more.

The last book that I finished was Every Man's Battle by Stephen Arterburn and Fred Stoeker. In my opinion, if you are a male (or if you're married to one), you should read this book. There are so many immoral images that go through a man's mind that do not seem like they could be harmful, but they are... they affect you in your relationship with your wife and with God. This book clearly defines what those harmful traps are and how to elude them... and for the women that read this book, there are notes from a woman's perspective to help you understand what's going on with us males.

One book that I am in the middle of is Every Man's Marriage by the same authors. This is sort of a sequel to EMB and takes it a step further into investigating the desires of a woman as a partner. I know what you're all thining: "Eric, you're not married!!" To you I will say that I am aware of that, but that also I do plan on being a husband someday and I realize how much responsibility lies within that role. So I guess that you can't be 'over-prepared'. There is so much in this book that I know I'll have to read it again eventually to really grasp it all... here are a couple of big things I've learned so far:

Spiritual leadership begins with being a servant and that has everything to do with submission. Not submission to an individual necessarily, but a submission to 'oneness'. It's such a beautiful picture of marriage.

I also just started reading the book Captivating by Stasi and John Elderedge. This is pretty much the woman's version of Wild At Heart (which is one that I have recently finished). Virginia and I are both reading this book, journeying together and hopefully learning more about each other as we go through it. When we finish, we plan to start Wild At Heart. I think this will be a cool way of growing with each other while everything else in our relationship is seemingly at a stand-still. I know God will reveal some awesome things through this and I feel encouraged by that alone!

No comments: